Tuesday, June 23, 2009

We finally did it!

Well, today was the day - the day that Alena must give up her pacis. I know, I know it's terrible that she still had those things but the longer she had them the harder it was for me to want to take them away. There was just something so cute about her asking for a specific one at bed time. "No! I want pink paci!" and I loved the way she'd pop it out to tell me one last thing before she went to bed, and then promptly pop it back in, but alas all things must come to an end and this was way past the point of needing to end. I will honestly say, though that if we didn't have another "new baby"coming in just a few short weeks then I probably would have just let her keep it a while longer. I'm learning more and more that with children things that seem so important at the time just aren't later on. When she's 12 and I look back is it really going to matter if she had her paci at 2 or even at 3, probably not. I"m just going to look back and think how small she was. So, I had a little plan to cut the ends off the pacis and then give them to her like normal and let her be the one to throw them away. I'd read/heard they wouldn't take them with the ends cut and let me tell you , it worked. She put one in her mouth and immediately took it out and said, "It broken!" she wouldn't even put the other one in her mouth. I told her if they were broken she needed to throw them away and she went right to the trash can and did it. No problem with her going to sleep tonight, but we kept her up later than usual so she would be really tired. I know we probably have a couple long nights coming up but I feel like at least the hard part is over. So, she's potty trained, and the pacis are gone now we've got to work on getting her out of the crib and into a big bed...

1 comment:

Julie said...

Yeah! I'm glad it was relatively painless. Enjoyed "chatting"!